You'll see the ingredients needed in the photo: Borax, Fels Naptha Laundry Soap, Arm and Hammer Laundry Soap, plus Baking Soda. Arm and Hammer Laundry Soap may be the one that is not easy to find from what I read on other blogs. They don't have it at Wal Mart. However, I was lucky enough to find all three ingredients at our Kroger store. Some recipes made more detergent than I wanted to try out.
I used one bar of Fels Naptha. You have to grate it up in a food processor or on a hand grater, which is what I used. It grates very easily. You have around two cups when you finish, maybe a little more.
I put the grated soap into a container that I'd had stored for years. Now I'm glad I didn't get rid of it. I added two cups of the Borax and 2 cups of the A/H Laundry Soap, plus a half-cup of baking soda. All you do is stir it up and it'll look like this:
You use a tablespoon for a load of laundry. I used two tablespoons per full load. One tablespoon for small loads. The bloggers who had figured out the cost said the cost was 3 cents a load, which is a great buy. Plus after using the above amounts of the ingredients, I still have enough to make two more batches. All I'll have to buy is the soap, which is $1.27 a bar.
I liked using it. I didn't see any difference in this detergent and the store-bought that I use. I do use Tide Total Care on many of my good clothes and I'll continue to do that, but, for me, the homemade detergent did a great job on towels and sheets. It doesn't sud, so it would be great for front-loading machines. Also it has a fresh light scent of soap and it doesn't leave any chemical fragrance behind, which I loved.
Also a tip for softening, use vinegar in your rinse. It will soften fabrics. If you
want to boost the softening, you can cut your dryer sheets in half and use a half instead of a whole one.
Besides laundry I've been busy with work and spring cleaning around the house. I've also been taking some photos and I'm going to post a few of my favorites that I took this week at work of some cuties and a litter of lab puppies.

5 comments:
Hey, I'm going to make some of that laundry detergent too. I save the receipe and printed it out. I'm having a hard time finding the washing soda though and we don't have a kroger here in charlotte--oh wait, I'm in High Point at the moment and maybe they have one here and I can go pick up the other stuff to make it. I went ahead and tried the vinegar for the fabric softener and it works great not to mention it seems to make my whites brighter. Great tips and I'm all about saving some money!!!
You can also use vinegar in your dishwasher instead of Jet Dry and it works great!
I never thought about making it myself. I think I'll try it too. I love the pictures!! There's something about puppies ;)
Aaaaawwwwwww puppies!!!
Isn't the laundry detergent Wonderful?? I Still can't find the Washing Soda!! But what I found was Arm & Hammer plain detergent...Still works great! And the vinegar Works great as well!! Happy Mothers Day sugar!!hughugs
Post a Comment