In the past, I have always used Sherwin-Williams paint. I like SW paint because it went on smoothly and it was a good, thick paint. Plus, it lasts forever. I have several other rooms painted in SW Superpaint and they still look good.
When it comes to paint, you usually get what you pay for. Of course, I had not bought any paint in several years. When I decided to paint the room, I wanted to go with the color I had used in adjoining rooms, a cream color called White Organdy. So, I went to Sherwin-Williams and bought a gallon of satin which cost me about $42. Pricey compared to years ago.
A few weeks ago, I read Consumer Reports paint test results and they ranked Kilz Casual Colors paint number one, far above SW and many other pricer paints, for all the things a good paint should be. And the cost? $22 a gallon, sold at Wal Mart. So I decided to give a gallon a try since I was going to have to buy more anyway. The paint department at Wal Mart had a computer that found the formula for SW White Organdy. Note, I had taken a paint stir stick, dipped in the SW white organdy with me so after they mixed the paint at WM, I could see if it was a true match. It was.
How did the Kilz measure up? Great. It is a thick paint. Not runny. Goes on smoothly and coverage is equal to SW. All paints say one-coat coverage but I'm not that good at painting. I usually do two coats.
Also, I liked the Kilz container. It is plastic, with a handle and when you take off the top, it has a easy-pour spout, which is a plus compared to the usual paint buckets.
So, the verdict? I would recommend either paint and personally will buy the Kilz. After all, $20 is a good savings.

No comments:
Post a Comment